Joan of Arc celebrations in Orleans
One of the key events oh Johannine city
A not-to-be-missed event in Orleans, don’t miss the Johannine celebrations from Friday 29 April to Sunday 8 May.
A key event
A key event in the cultural life of the people of Orleans, the Johannine Festivals of Orleans are among the oldest traditional events in France.
Recognised as part of France’s intangible cultural heritage, this event pays tribute to the woman who liberated Orleans centuries before. Guided by divine voices, the “Pucelle d’Orléans”, who became a national heroine, liberated Orleans, which was torn apart by the Hundred Years’ War, on 8 May 1429.
The liberator of Orleans is celebrated each year during ten days of festivities. Parades and commemorative processions, a medieval market at the Campo Santo, a sound and light show at the Sainte-Croix Cathedral and an Electro Set bring the people of Orleans together every year.
The programme and highlights of the Joan of Arc celebrations
Several highlights mark this edition of the Joan of Arc celebrations:
Friday 29 April
- Sword award ceremony.
- Show “Joan, the three trials” at the Sainte-Croix Cathedral.
- Entry of Joan of Arc into Orleans through the Burgundy Gate.
Sunday 1st May
- Joan of Arc Ride, departure from Place du Martroi.
- Concert by the Orleans Municipal Band at the Salle de l’Institut.
Tuesday 3rd May
- Religious tribute to Joan of Arc at the Notre-Dame des Miracles church.
Wednesday 4th May
- Orleans La Source celebrates Joan of Arc.
Thursday 5 to Sunday 8 May
- Medieval market at the Campo Santo.
Saturday 7th May
- Tribute to Joan of Arc by the twin towns in the the courtyard of the Hôtel Groslot.
- Concert by the Orleans Val de Loire Choir in the Saint-Pierre du Martroi church.
- Ceremony for the presentation of the standard at Sainte-Croix Cathedral.
- Concert by the Johannine Choir in the Sainte-Croix Cathedral.
- Sound and light show at the Sainte-Croix Cathedral.
- 13th edition of the Electro Set in front of the Orleans theatre.
Sunday 8th May
- Commemoration of the Victory of 8 May 1945 at the Victory Monument.
- Solemn religious service at the Sainte-Croix Cathedral.
- Official tribute to Joan of Arc at Sainte-Croix Square.
- Military tribute to Joan of Arc in the city centre.
- Departure of the commemorative procession.
- Return of the standard on Sainte-Croix Square.
Exhibitions, guided tours, the House of Joan of Arc, boat trips, film and lecture series, as well as the Orleans media libraries mark this tribute to the “Pucelle d’Orléans”.
The medieval market
At Campo Santo
Dance, comedy, music, educational farm, medieval games, stalls, craftsmen, taverns…
Exhibitors from all over France and Europe invite you and your family on a journey to the heart of the Middle Ages and the traditions of yesteryear!
From Thursday 5th to Sunday 8th May
Thursday 5 and Saturday 7 May: 10am-10pm
Friday 6 May: 10am-11pm
Sunday 8 May: 10am-7pm
Sound and light
The Sound and Light show projected on the Sainte-Croix cathedral is a highlight of Joan of Arc celebrations!
This year, discover the new free show “Joan, Standard of Light”, which retraces the story of Joan of Arc as much as it reveals the architecture of the cathedral, playing with light and shadow.
Saturday 7 May at 10:40 pm
Duration: 18 minutes
The electro set
OF JOAN OF ARC CELEBRATIONS
Are you a fan of electronic music? Every year, the city of Orleans invites international DJs in the city centre, on the square in front of the Orleans theatre.
This year, the winner of the Orleans DJ Cast, French DJ Tony Romera and Dutch DJ Oliver Heldens.
Saturday 7 May from 11pm to 1.30am in front of the Orleans theatre.
In the footsteps of Joan of Arc
TO REDISCOVER ORLEANS
The Joan of Arc Festival is a perfect opportunity to follow the historic ride of the “Maid of Orleans” through the historic heart of the city.
Sainte-Croix Cathedral, Maison de Jeanne d’Arc, Place du Martroi, Hôtel Groslot, Musée des Beaux-Arts… Take the time to visit the unmissable places dedicated to her epic and go and meet the many representations of Joan of Arc throughout the city (some places are likely to be closed at the moment due to the health situation).
Playmobil® exhibition at the Tourist Office
“The Epic of Joan of Arc”
Young and old alike, visit the Playmobil® exhibition “The Epic of Joan of Arc” through 8 scenes retracing the major stages in the life of the liberator of Orleans.
With the kind permission of Playmobil® France. This exhibition is neither sponsored nor organised by Playmobil®.
From 9 April to 8 May
Relive the 2019 edition of the Joan of Arc celebrations from 29 April to 8 May in Orleans!